The book spotlights the forerunners whose lives and works continue to be an unrevealed part of Florence’s cultural identity.
Richly illustrated and incisive, this guide marks a pathway toward female creativity in Florence – from the spiritual legacy of Renaissance convent painter Suor Plautilla Nelli to the solidarity of international contemporary women artists who donated their art to the city in an effort to replace masterpieces lost in the tragic flood of 1966.
This small book represents a far-reaching quest and an exciting invitation: the rediscovery of women artists and their formidable contributions to Florence and the world.
Table of Contents
- UPLIFTING THE SPIRIT – Women Artists in Local Churches and Monasteries
- AMID THE MATERS – Prestige and Portraiture at the Uffizi
- PORTRAITS FOR POSTERITY – The Vasari Corridor and Self-portrayal by Women
- PALATINA PALADINS – Notable Women Artists at the Palatine Gallery
- PITTI LADIES – Forerunners at Florence’s Gallery of Modern Art
- ANOTHER PLACE AND TIME – Central Spots and Varied Mediums
- IN MEDICI COUNTRY – Art by Women on the Outskirts of Florence
- DISCOVERING HIDDEN TREASURES – A selection of Unexhibited Works in Florence